Saturday, June 09, 2012

Josan Nimes



Mapúa Institute of Technology's Filipino-Australian basketball star Josan Nimes is formidable inside the court. His impressive performance at the 87th National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) basketball game created quite a stir and had pundits talking about the future of this rookie superstar.

The 6’3” guard/forward led Mapúa Cardinals to a series of victories in 2011 NCAA season, including the team’s four straight wins. His points were so impressive that he defeated other strong contenders to the Rookie of the Year award.

He started with a bang, and he said, it is all about passion for the game.

His desire to play and make a name in a professional basketball league in the Philippines has brought Josan back to the country from Phoenix, Arizona where his family has been residing since he was 15 years old. Josan, who was born in the Philippines to Filipino parents, initially migrated to Australia when he was four years old.

Told about the big opportunities and possibilities here, the then 19-year-old Josan left his family in the States and flew back alone in July to pursue his dream. When asked why he picked Mapúa, he said, aside from it came highly recommended by his cousin, Mapúa is known for its reputation for being one of the best schools in the country.

Below are some facts we may or we may not know about our rookie player:

Birthday: May 11, 1991

Province: Nueva Ecija

Whe did you start playing basketball? When I was on the 5th grade. I was born here in the Philippines and then when I was 4 we moved to Australia. We stayed there for 11 years and then when I was 15, we moved to Phoenix and then I came back here when I was 19.

Why do you love basketball? I think it’s in the Filipino blood because we love basketball so much in the country. And then my dad played basketball when I was little. I used to watch my dad, so, I was always around basketball.

I get to meet a lot of people and travel and see lots of new places.

Did he influence you? He influenced me like we just played in the backyard but I didn’t really start playing seriously until my oldest sister… she’s the reason why I play basketball.

She started playing before me… I had friends from school that had a game but they were short of players so they asked me if I wanted to play…. I played really good so they asked me if I wanted to be on the team permanently. So that’s how I started.

How many are you in the family? I have 3 sisters. I’m the only boy. I’m the second eldest.

Why did you decide to play basketball here rather than the States? I guess there was an opportunity. Somebody told me how [popular] basketball is in the Philippines. Somebody told me that I have a good chance of making it. So, I got influenced to come here. I’m just here by myself, my family is in the States.

Did you find it hard adjusting here? It took a while. During the first two weeks, I missed my family a lot and I was like, ‘Did I make the right choice?’

What’s your most memorable game? Probably over here when we played against San Sebastian. They were the defending champion. I had my career high, 31 points, but we lost the game. But I would never forget that game.

They were the No. 1 team at that time. We had a lot of support from Mapúa. A lot of people watched. They have lots of supporters also. The atmosphere of the game that we played in, it was really good, it was a good atmosphere.

How would you rate yourself as a basketball player? I probably say 6 or 7 because I still know I have a lot of room for improvement. I have to prepare myself, try to get to the next level, so, I say 6 or 7 because there’s a lot I could improve on.

Are you into other sports? When I was younger, I played soccer at school and then I played tennis. Me and my oldest sister played tennis.

Could you compare basketball here and in the US? In the States, it’s a lot more athletic, they’re like faster, stronger, jumped higher. But over here, they play really hard. It’s really physical over here. So, I still adjust to like all the elbows, bumping. I mean, we do (have that in the States) but not like it is over here.

I have lots of opportunities here than in the States.

What can you say about your popularity? It’s increasing at a very fast rate like before when I first came, I used to walk around and nobody would really notice. Now, when I go to the mall and when I go out at night, I could hear people mumbling [my] name… People would ask for my pictures, ask about my game.

You’re like a celebrity now? I don’t think I am. People just have started to notice me more that’s all. Nothing great.

How do you usually spend your time? Practice, practice and then sleep, sleep, sleep…. It’s hard to go out actually at night, you have to wake up early, you have to prepare your body so you don’t get hurt. So, I haven’t gotten out in a while. I have to sacrifice a lot. I’m looking forward to getting a break.

How do you balance your study and basketball? You have to make arrangements with your teachers… It’s very hard.

Why did you choose to play for Mapúa? I knew I would play basketball, I just didn’t know what school. My cousin, he graduated from here, so he told me about how good Mapúa’s name is, like in education…. He also influenced me. When I first came here, they welcomed me with open arms. Everyone was very friendly. He went to Mapúa Makati, I think he did IT.

Do you want to join PBA someday? To play in PBA, that’s always been my goal.

Are you an emotional person? When it comes to my family, I’m very emotional because I’m very close to my family.

Do you cry? I did cry like on my birthday… My parents weren’t here, all my family. It was my first birthday I spent without my family so, it kind of hurt me.

How did you feel when your team failed to make it to the championship? It was disappointing. It was hard because at the very beginning we were the favorite; one of the favorites to get into the championship and we didn’t even make it to the Final Four.

For the most part, we just try to look at the positive… We have to move on and learn from our mistakes and hope for the next game.

Are you a wacky person? Yeah. First, I’ll be really quiet because I don’t know anybody but after a while… Makulit, that’s the perfect word, actually.

Can you speak Tagalog? I barely spoke it but I can understand everything. If I really have to speak Tagalog, I speak Tagalog, it’s just that it’s Americanized and broken

What’s your goal for 2012? Try to make it to championship… We’ll be ready for [2012]. (From Mapua's official website)

Follow him on Twitter: @josannimes

No comments:

Post a Comment